Thursday, April 15, 2010

Make k's while the sun shines.

I have never been quite this interested sunny weather before (ok, for food growing yes, and maybe for few years in my early 20's but that generally involved the beach and copious amounts of coconut oil....)

But for the last few days I've been running out to the driveway with notebook and pen as soon as the sun comes out from behind the clouds. You see as of last Friday, I became the proud owner of a little baby 1 kW solar pv system (below) and even though I'm waiting for Energex to install my new meter, I still get a completely nerdy thrill out of seeing my old dial meter spinning backwards when it's sunny. I know, I know. I need to get a life...


I purchased the system back in 2008 for $335 from Eco-Kinetics thanks to their bulk buy deal on components when they won the contract to install panels across the state for the Qld Govt (back in the old days of the $8,000 fed govt rebate). Being a skeptic, I put my name on a list to register my interest, and figured I could use the huge wait time to check them out and find any loopholes, but didn't find any. Well none that I would query for that price.

They were upfront about the wait time (12-18 months!) and gave me a customer number so I could track where my 'job' was up to from time to time. We locked in the rebate, I paid my $335 and I waited. Jumping on this deal has been a good decision financially (how can you complain about getting rid of your power bills for $355?) but there are a few compromises I made that I want to point out to people who might also be asking themselves that eternal question... "PV or not to PV"?

Of course, below are just my thoughts - you obviously need to weigh up your own personal choices according to what feels right for you.

1. Make your own or buy Green Power instead?

Home solar pv systems might be 'free' to run, but there's an attached environmental cost to produce them and the components that need replacing from time to time (especially in the case of battery-reliant stand-alone systems that don't connect to 'the grid') and that's what makes a lot of people opt for buying 100% of their power from an accredited Green Power source instead. Solar Choice's blog on the energy payback of solar looks at this issue. '

Until a couple of years ago, I'd always bought my electricity from an accredited GP source, but now I'm producing my own, I will still do my bit to help increase investment in large-scale renewables by paying a small premium to Climate Friendly to offset my travel.

(NB: I personally don't like offset programs that plant trees, I think they are too open to abuse. I'd rather pay money to a transparent company that invests in large scale solar and wind, and I'll plant the trees myself. And of course, no amount of 'offsetting' of your power or lifestyle, will be as good as reducing your usage in the first place. More on that later).

2. Buy local

I always try to buy local and support local trades and businesses, so jumping on this 'non-local deal' was a tricky one for me, morally. My panels were made in this factory in China (but to German specifications, so the quality should be ok) and the inverter is an SMA Sunny Boy which was either made in America or Germany. Added to that, I went with a Brisbane company, rather than one of our great local co's on the Coast - that's a pretty big compromise for me. I'll be buying my next 1 kW add-on from one of the local guys I know, (when I'm not suffering a 'PFC' (personal financial crisis) and needing to opt for a bigger company with ridiculous buying power) I often recommend local companies to anyone who asks - just call or email me.

For what it's worth, I justify my non-local purchase of an 'essential item' by the fact that I never - ok maybe once ever few years - buy new non-essentials... furniture or soft furnishings, kitchen stuff, or other plastics and gagdets that are generally all made overseas. Probably not much of a justification, but it's my theory and I'm sticking with it! :)

3. What size system should I buy?

The size of system (and price tags) will vary hugely, and comes down to personal choice. Again, the boom of the domestic PV industry in Australia over the last twelve months or so has been pretty much propped up by the Government, but based on the history of overnight policy change in other 'green' areas, I would personally not invest in a bigger pv system on the assumption I was going to earn a squillion from the Feed In Tariffs.

AND as always, the whole point of 'sustainability' is not to carry on with business as usual and pay someone else (or buy lots of technology) to offset your high usage. The average Qld household of 2.5 people uses about 21 kWh of electricity per day, in SEQ it's closer to 30kWh ave /day thanks to our friend the air conditioner - that's HUGE!

Admittedly I'm only one person, but my average daily use is 3.7 kWh and it wouldn't double if someone else lived here as there are lots of things that cost the same to run whether it's one person or two (ie the fridge). Personally, I don't care if I never earn money back on my system through the govt feed in tariffs - I just want to produce what I use so I'm not adding to the problem. (Energex spends $3mill a DAY on upgrading infrastructure to cope with our peak demand and we wonder why our power prices are going up!?)

Generally speaking, this part of the world averages 5 kWh of solar electricity produced for every 1 kWh of 'system' - obviously varying with angle off True North, angle of panels, shading and weather etc.

Some other things to think about:
1. Make sure pv modules (panels) and inverter are on the CEC's approved list
2. Make sure they come with good warranties - 25 yrs on panels and about 5 on inverters
(and go with a company who's been around for a while, or you feel confident will be
around in 25 yrs to honour the warranty!)
3. Make sure you've done everything you can to reduce your use first.


Next time: Smart Metering - the future is going to be very different!!

Sun's out...gotta go!
Jo










No comments: