Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bring back the larder!

















Let's face it - any of us with an ounce of foodie in us, fairly drools at the thought of an old fashioned kitchen with rows of jars containing all sorts of homemade pickles, preserves and other unidentifyable (but tasty) oddities. But how many of today's living spaces are equipped for even the most basic DIY cook-adventurer, let alone anyone packing a set of Mason Jars?

My friend and food guru, Kali Nielson, created and ran a local eco store a few years ago, that had the feel of those old fashioned kitchens and most of my inspiration (nay, obsession) with having a larder, comes from conversations with her over the years, about traditional bread-making, growing cultures and using herbs as medicine - the knowledge that once went hand-in-hand with the X chromosome.

This is the precious wisdom we've all but lost from our collective knowledge - except for a few nannas and clued-up greenies and food buffs who realise how important our 'PG' (pre-gladwrap) ways were.

I did away with the gladwrap and most other plastics a few years back, and I have a pretty impressive collection of old glass jars and containers for almost any occasion (my plates on top of plates storage of leftovers in the fridge is a family joke).  But when the garden cranks up to full production, I want to be able to pick, pickle and preserve my little heart out ...so I need to gets me a larder!

So what do you need for a larder, I hear you say? No idea. Well, Im assuming cool-cold conditions without too much moisture and somewhere that our little furry mates won't raid. And jars, lots of them.

I have this lovely high wall adjacent the back steps (to the kitchen) on the Eastern side of the house (perfect spot for kitchen gardens - herbs etc - in Qld as it maximises the morning sun, without the afternoon scorch in summer).  That side of the house has always been cool, as it's connected, via a block wall foundation, to the ground, keeping it at a constant 22 degrees C, so......

I'm going to use a blank part of the external wall for a set of shelves for storing jars of herbs etc, and the space above to dry herbs etc. There's a small gap in the block wall below, (an original doorway) that will make a perfect spot to store wine while brewing etc, plus pumpkins or any other surplus stuff from the garden.

Of course, it's not as grand as a recycled brick outdoor kitchen with separate room lined with coloured jars, (aka Babettes Feast) but I figure it's a good start - and a nice homely greeting for anyone coming to the back door of the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Jo - I didn't realise you had a blog and have just enjoyed your comments on facebook. I love what you are doing with your place. We are in the midst of a reno down here and struggling with trying to be sustainable when no one wants to help! We are slowly winning most battles - but choosing our battles more carefully than I would like to. Hopefully I will get to see you back in QLD sometime.
Lea